Saturday, February 27, 2010

Blog Assignment 2/28/2010

Richard Miller: This is How We Dream Parts I and II
Richard Miller is right on target with the path of education. Education and information in general has become more visual and auditory. Technology has become so advanced (even from when this video was made to today) that with the right knowledge of the tools that are out there for you to use "composing of the future with the web" has become fairly easy. I am glad to hear the word visual and beautiful again in education. Creativity is finding its way back into the classroom.

I am more prepared to write with multimedia today than I was a few weeks ago. I am sure my future students will be able to even educate me further. We are moving in the right direction. The internet has many inspiring roads. We as future educators need to make sure we know the legend and give our students the directions they need to explore the world safely without ever leaving the classroom.

Richard Miller also touched on the green issue. We need to protect our environment. Books are great and I am so a person of the book but our forests are taking a hit. The wave of the future is definitely helping the future for our environment. I have used a minimal amount of paper in this course and all of my information has been available via internet. Think about how many pages a book "This is How We Dream" would have been and how many publications he would have had to produce to reach as many people as he did through the internet. Wow.





The Networked Student by Wendy Drexler
I am majoring in Elementary Education. I will incorporate the PLN in a less detailed and formal manner. For my boys a PLN of other kiddos to gain codes to their PSP games and for girls, well I do not have girls so I will have to see what is going on with them at that time, maybe what is up and new with other girls in the way of Vera Bradley.

Does the networked student even need a teacher? SURE. Children have all of this information at their fingertips yet need proper instruction and organization skills to be able to present in an educated manner. I know this holds true for the elementary and middle school aged children. This is one reason I selected Elementary Education as my major. I feel that over a period of time your high school years could very well become a total self learning situation, especially if our economy continues the way it is going.

Toward a New Future of Whatever, by Michael Wesch
This is not the first time I have heard media technology mediates our conversation, who-what-when-where. The second semester I returned to college my English 102 professor had us explore the idea that what you see on television is actually what you will see in the future, true or not true. What we all found out that this was actually true to some degree. How scary is that.

This video touched on recognition. I definitely experienced this when we did our video for the class podcast project. I noticed I sit on the edge of my chair, I want to change my hair, I do not like the way my voice sounds and my face has gotten more round. I was like the young girl that was noticing how others see her. So, whatever. Oh, don't name your child Charlie.




Comments 4 Kids
This week I commented on Eric from Mrs. Kolbert's class. They were to blog on what they did over the weekend. Mrs. Kolbert supplied the students with a laundry list of things they could choose from. Eric selected Olympics. He had been following Vonn. I have note been able to keep and this little guy had a link to his post to an article detailing Vonn's missed gate. Vonn is a great role model and inspiration for our kids.

Comments 4 Teachers
Innovative commercial setup. I like the ingredient, recipe format. Just enough information and demonstration. This educator was pitching a Smartboard type environment using Wii components. Good idea.

3 comments:

  1. This new multimedia world is something else, especially as we bring more of it into the classroom. I'm actually a secondary English major and I'm hoping students do become more interested in learning things academically by themselves. This will open the door to more interesting discussions and networking within the high school classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I named my son Charlie a long time ago - before you were born! What now? So you are moving toward multimedia writing1 Must be your movie making and acting talents showing through!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love how the teachers get the kids to blog--- I wonder if any of our our classrooms in mcpss do this???

    B

    ReplyDelete